...

...

Thursday, July 7, 2011

A-Train and The Diesel make progress

Didn't think I would be doing so well after 10 days off he bike.  Sticking to the race season diet I avoided gaining weight through that period. Yesterday morning before work I hopped on the road bike for a 20 miles to spin out the cob webs. Well the weather was perfect and I couldn't resist putting the hammer down.  20 miles at 19.6mph including my warm up....not bad.

Enter today's ride with The Diesel.  Location: Tree Fram.  It was his idea for me to lead out the first lap and off we went.  Man did I suck.  To much air in the tires for the conditons and I couldn't negotiate a turn to save my life.  Well after complaining the entire lap about how bad I was riding and almost hitting a dozen or more trees I was surprised to see us come in a hair under 49 minutes.  Damn.....really?  Cool.

Before lap two I stopped to let some air out of both of my tires, figure I dropped 4-5 psi out of each tire.  Brian insisted I lead out again.  What a huge difference a little less air pressure made.  All of a sudden the bike was cornering on rails and the A-Train was at full steam.  I pushed it hard but made sure to keep Diesel in the rear view mirror to pull him around.  However, having him behind me on the trail always makes me nervous because at any point in time he can roll up on me in the tight sections and start bump drafting me.  In the end I came thru at 48:30 and he came in 50 seconds later.  Awesome!

Third lap was nothing to write home about.  We did it for the extra miles and sort of a cool down.  Was a 52 or 53 something.  We spent most of that lap talking while riding and not worrying about the clock.

After was a quick chat about the old racing days and a run in with the Andy and Eddie from MTB For Life/Soul Cycles.  Good guys and fun team to ride with.

No comments:

Post a Comment